As you break into the corporate world, you need to figure out how you are going to make your fortune. One of the most reliable forms of income is simply starting out at an entry level job and working your way towards CEO of the company. The path is slow, and by no means certain, by it is one of the most reliable ways to earn an income.
Not everyone likes to take this slow path. Some people like to go a more direct route – through the use of commission based sales jobs. Commission sales jobs are a huge risk, and one that is fraught with scams, pitfalls and difficulties, but if you can find a good commission sales job – one that utilizes your skills with less risk and with a trustworthy company, you have the potential to be earning a much higher income.
5 Types of Commission Sales Jobs
These days, commission based sales jobs are becoming increasingly scarce. There is a great deal of oversight over many of the companies that used to offer commission sales jobs (for example, these days it is harder for car dealerships to rip off customers, causing less profit), and other jobs have been replaced by the Internet.
The best commission sales jobs are with the sales departments of any major company. For example, commission at an enterprise level technology company can be as much as 25% of the cost of the software, which may be as high as $50,000. These jobs also have base salaries. Ideally, these are the types of sales jobs you should accept. Still, if you must work in more risky commission sales, you have several choices:
- Car Dealerships – No longer high paying, but the work is somewhat reliable and some companies pay a base salary with decent commission.
- Real Estate – Real estate is easily the best type of commission work. A real estate agent only needs to sell a few properties to have enough to live for a year.
- Direct Sales – Some companies offer direct sales campaigns. These jobs can be very profitable, provided they are not the type of jobs that require you to purchase the items yourself before you sell them.
- Electronics – Companies like Circuit City used to offer amazing commission. Recently they are no longer able to offer nearly as much in order to complete with other electronics companies, but there are some good similar commissions jobs here and there.
- Medical Equipment/Medicine Sales – Medical equipment sales jobs and pharmaceutical sales are extremely high risk, as you can easily earn no income at all, but the commissions on these items are incredible. If you are going to get a job in this field however, research the company thoroughly beforehand and do not spend any of your own money to get started.
Beware of Scams
Commission sales jobs are loaded with scams. If you are good at your job, you can still earn a great income, but it is not uncommon for those that work in high risk commission jobs. If you would like to take that risk, and believe you have the sales skills necessary to earn a healthy income:
- Don’t spend any of your own money.
- Make sure you don’t have any financial responsibilities that depend on you earning a living.
- Check to make sure the business is not a scam.
Provided you take all of these precautions, it may be worth a shot. Just be sure you work extremely hard and leave the position quickly if it appears you are not earning a healthy income.
Take Away Tips
- Commission sales jobs are extremely high risk.
- Only jobs in major corporations with a base pay are lower risk, and still risky.
- Take precautions before taking a commission sales job.