Your online profile is what people find when they search for you. Everyone has an online presence and you need to make sure you make your online presence work for you and not against you. Do you know what your online profile says about you? You want to make sure that everything your employer sees makes you look like an excellent applicant.
The following tips can help you create an outstanding online profile.
Tips to Look Good in Online Search:
- Clean it Up – Search for yourself on all major search engines and delete/edit/remove anything you don’t want people to see. Employers WILL search for you. You want them to find good things, not bad things, so doing the search yourself and carefully seeing what you can erase or add is important.
- LinkedIn and Professional Social Media – Join LinkedIn and any other professional social online groups. These online profiles dominate search engines and give you the opportunity to have very professional profiles that show up well above any unprofessional junk that may show up on your name. Make sure you follow our LinkedIn tips as well.
- Professionalize Social Media – Many people think that just because they block unauthorized access to Twitter and Facebook posts they’re in the clear. Not so. There are always ways for people to find your social media profiles, and if they’re unprofessional then they’re unprofessional. Start making everything under your name more professional when you’re job searching, even if you’re blocking it from public view (which we also recommend you do).
- Consider a Personal Website – Some people make websites that are solely about themselves. While this needs to be done carefully (with an excellent web designer, 100% professional posts, and more), a personal website can be a strong way to show you are an impactful person, and may be especially valuable if you have a lot of ugly posts that show up under your name that you can’t remove.
- Comment on Amazing Articles – If you come across an amazing article online, and you have your own insights or original research that you want to share, then consider sharing it and using your full name. As always, this needs to be done with the greatest of care – choosing valuable articles on well-known industry websites and providing only comments that you’ll be proud of for years – but search engines do pick up on amazing comments under a person’s name, and this well help your online profile shine to recruiters that look you up.
Also have a look at our trouble shooting post – How To Fix Your Online identity. How you appear online will always play a strong role in today’s increasingly digital age. Check to make sure that you’re dominating search engines with valuable information on yourself, and you’ll improve how you appear to recruiters.