There are some professions where any job interview will involve some specific interview questions about your creativity and your creative thinking skills. These professions include advertising, marketing, media, sales, design work etc.
Similarly, if you are applying for a management or leadership role, you can expect a few of these types of questions irrespective of the field you work in. Employers want to know that you can think creatively in regards to problem solving and innovation.
Creativity is often thought of as a soft skill. Soft skills include thinks like your organisational skills, presentation skills, initiative, communication skills, teamwork and creativity. They are considered just as important as job specific skills and are given a lot of consideration by recruiters and employers.
Make sure you are familiar with all the key soft skills and how you can structure an answer to show off your skills.
Seven Behavioral Interview Questions About Your Creative Thinking Skills:
1. Describe a time when you had to think “outside the box” and how did you go about it?
Sample answer to show you can think outside the box during an interview.
2. Can you give me an example of a situation where you used creative or innovative thinking to eliminate frustration with a product or process
Sample answer to show how you can develop creative solutions to a frustration problem.
3. Tell me about a time when you have had to develop a creative approach to problem solving in order to get the job done.
Sample answer to show your creative approach to problem solving.
4. In what ways have you encouraged your work team to be more creative and innovative?
Sample answer to show you encourage creativity in your work team.
5. Tell me about a business problem that you had to solve in a unique or innovative way. What was the outcome?
Sample answer to solving business problem creatively.
6. Give me an example of when someone presented an innovative new idea you you that was a bit unusual. How did you react? What did you do?Are You A Creative Thinker? How To Answer
Sample answer to show how you can embrace creative ideas that can be unusual.
7. What is the most creative idea or project you have generated in your current role? How was it received?
Sample answer to show that you’re a creative thinker.
Interview questions about creativity or creating thinking are really hard to answer on the fly. Make sure you prepare some good examples to deliver if you are asked any of the behavioural questions above.
If you are in a creative field such as design , marketing or media you may also need to prepare a portfolio of you work.