US News came out with a recent article about some of the world’s most common job interview mistakes. Read it for a nice list of some of the common mistakes people make during their job interviews. Here are 20 mistakes compiled by Everyday Interview Tips to avoid at your job interview.
- Apologizing for lack of experience.
- Not researching the company.
- Coming in unprepared for job interview questions.
- Showing up late for your interview.
- Answering a question with a question.
- Failing to smile throughout the interview.
- Crossing your arms.
- Shaking your leg.
- Muttering or speaking too softly.
- Staying quiet and expecting the interviewer to do most of the talking.
- Overemphasizing work history or experiences that are not impressive.
- Lying and getting caught in a lie.
- Trying to tell a story without considering the story first.
- Complaining about your previous jobs.
- Slouching in your chair.
- Forgetting to thank the interviewers.
- Making sarcastic jokes.
- Supplying personal information.
- Letting your cell phone ring or vibrate during the interview.
- Not having any questions for the interviewer.
The above list represents just a small sample of the types of common interview mistakes that occur at almost every job interview. There are so many ways you can make an error, but despite the vast number of possible errors, almost all of them are completely preventable with the right preparation and decent knowledge of what constitutes a good interview. That is why it is so important to understand job interviews and practice thoroughly beforehand.
Take Away Interview tips
- Avoid common interview mistakes.
- Read websites (like Everyday Interview Tips!) to understand the job interview process.
- Practice, practice, practice.