Paralegals and legal assistants are some of the fastest growing jobs in the country. They involve a lot of legal knowledge and training, but also the ability to put that knowledge into action and serve clients (and lawyers) to the best of your ability. There is a lot of work that goes into being a paralegal, which is why there are a lot of questions that interviewers may ask to paralegal candidates. Law firms need to hire the best if they hope to do the best job for their clients.
Sample Paralegal Interview Questions
- Describe your day to day tasks at your last paralegal job.
- How do you think your experiences will best benefit our legal department?
- How has your education prepared you to work in the criminal justice system?
- What methods do you use to organize and review legal documents?
- What do you consider to be the most important skills in an effective paralegal?
- What experience have you had drafting legal documents?
- Give me an example of a time you used excellent written communication skills.
- How comfortable are you dealing with confidential information?
- How comfortable are you working for the defense of suspected criminals?
- What do you do to ensure accuracy in your daily work?
- What do you know about this law firm?
- Have you had experience with any Case Management Software?
- How well do you handle stress?
- Why did you decide to become a paralegal?
- What are your future plans?
Using Your Knowledge
In addition to the same questions above, you may also be asked about your work history with other companies, your education, and any achievements you have accomplished (such as generating extra income for a law firm, or discovering a loophole in the legal system for a client, etc.). You will also be asked a variety of standard interview questions, and possibly some logic puzzles as well.
Take Away interview Tips
- Expect questions about stress and comfort.
- Expect questions about motivation.
- Expect technique paralegal interview questions.
- Expect standard interview questions.