Graphic designers are in high demand. More and more companies have switched to online marketing, making graphics a necessary part of their campaigns. You went to school. You studied to be a graphic designer. You are now ready to embark on your career (or continue it). You are going to face a variety of interview questions that are designed to complement your portfolio. If you want to succeed, you need to practice, so here are several common graphic designer interview questions.
Sample Graphic Designer Job Interview Questions:
- What graphic design software are you most comfortable working with?
- What graphic design software do you know best? Which one could you improve?
- What do you think are the most important qualities in a graphic designer?
- How comfortable are you being told what to design?
- How well do you take criticism?
- You are asked to design a new logo for our company. What would it look like?
- Do you sketch your designs first before converting them to digital format?
- How many designs do you usually sketch before choosing one?
- Do you have a tablet at home? What is it and why do you like it?
- How long would it take you to plan, design, and complete a 300×400 banner?
- How familiar are you designing graphics for [online marketing, newspapers, etc.]?
- You may be given strict parameters for your designs. Will that stifle your creativity?
- You are told to create a design without any instructions. What do you do?
- How do you plan your designs before you start drafting them?
- Tell me about some of the designs you have created, and their success.
Expect Many Graphic Questions
The list above represents just a small sample of the types of interview questions you may face at your graphic design interview. You can expect to receive many questions about how you create your designs, your creativity, your planning, etc. Your portfolio will do a lot of the talking for you, but companies are going to wonder about the process you use to create your designs, and your emotional health throughout the process. Practice as much as you can before the interview in order to improve your chances of success.
Take Away Interview Tips
- Graphic design interviews will focus a lot on all stages of the design process.
- Expect several standard interview questions in addition to the questions above.
- You may be asked to describe previous projects.