Advertising, like general marketing, requires an understanding of how to manipulate the market. You need to be skilled at presentation and its effects on those that receive it. Most of the time you need to have some sort of graphic knowledge, or at least be able to lead those that have graphic knowledge, and you must have an understanding of the product, otherwise you will struggle to sell the product to the people.
Advertising interviews are likely to have advertising specific interview questions, several of which are sampled below.
Sample Advertising Interview Questions
- How would you describe the current advertising field as it stands right now?
- What do you see as the future of advertising?
- What types of advertising tools have you worked with?
- Describe a time that you used an advertising strategy that failed.
- Describe some of the advertising strategies/platforms/campaigns you have created.
- What types of testing do you use to gauge the effectiveness of your advertising project?
- What made you decide to go into advertising?
- Do you understand our target market/demographic?
- How would you compare advertising today to what it was like 10 years ago?
- What do you consider the most effective current form of advertising?
- What do you feel most unsuccessful companies lack in terms of advertising?
- What do you consider an effective advertisement and how do you evaluate it?
- How do you develop your advertising strategies?
- What expertise do you have that makes you a better candidate than other applicants?
- Do you believe there is such thing as “bad publicity?”
Marketing Questions May Apply
Your role in advertising is connected directly with marketing, so expect some marketing questions (or marketing variations of these questions). You may also be asked general interview questions and questions about the specific tasks that you will need to undertake at the job, plus any questions related to previous jobs you have held (as always). Use the above list as a reference, but also come up with several additional advertising interview questions and practice answering them.
Take Away Interview Tips
- Be ready to explain your thoughts on advertising and marketing.
- Brush up on current trends.