Easily one of the best selling job books on the market today, “Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World” by Lindsey Pollak is a popular job and interview book for recent graduates. Many parents like to buy this book for their kids once they have completed college, and many college students use it as a reference for when they break into the corporate world.
- How to change your mindset and actions from “student” to “professional.”
- How to educate yourself on the job market and the world.
- How to start your career search.
- How to network with other professionals.
- How to gain experience in the world.
- How to write your resume.
- How to over-prepare for job interviews.
The book does a very good job dealing with its reader as a person. It discusses such things as mindsets, office personalities, and what you really need to do to break into the corporate world. The job hunting tips are top of the line, and they teach you how to utilize today’s technology to find a job. There is also a heavy focus on network that, while it can be painful for some of the shyer professionals, has some real value in the corporate world.
Strictly on a personal level, the writing style of the book can be a little better. Its interview tips are useful but sparse, as the book is designed to be more of an overall reference for college graduates rather than specific tips guide. Also, the book focuses such a great deal on changing who you are as a person that some college students may find the tips to be disconcerting.
“Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World” is a quality interview and job search tips book for young college graduates. It is tough to call it an “essential read” due in large part to its overall focus and the quality of the tips inside, but if you are looking for a solid job book, especially as a gift for a student or recent graduate, you could do much worse than “Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World.”
- Book Review – Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
- Book Review – “The Resume Kit” Review
- Book Review – Can I Wear My Nose Ring to the Interview?
- Book Review – Best Answers to the 201 Most Frequently Asked Interview Questions
- Book Review – 201 Best Questions to Ask At Your Job Interview