15 Common Retail Job Interview Questions
Retail jobs have a much different application process than corporate jobs. For many, you fill out an application (rather than sending in a resume), and your interview is conducted in the back of the store while the sales people are on the floor, doing their magic. Some retail jobs interview in group, while others involve meeting briefly with a floor manager to see if you have the personality expected to fit within the culture of their store.
Most retail job interview questions are fairly standard, primarily because you are usually trained for the job once hired, and not generally expected to have any pre-existing knowledge. Still, there are some specific retail job questions you may be asked. Here are some examples.
Sample Retail Job Interview Questions
- Why do you want to work here?
- Why do you want to work in [food services/apparel retail/etc.]?
- Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. What do you do?
- What are your career goals?
- Do you have any classes or other part time jobs that may interfere with your work?
- Have you ever been convicted of theft?
- We are looking for someone that can provide at least 1 year commitment. Is that okay?
- Have you shopped here before?
- Are you comfortable working on a commission system?
- We have sales quotas for all of our sales staff. Are you comfortable meeting these quotas?
- How comfortable are you handling money?
- What do you think makes you a good candidate for working on the sales floor?
- How do you feel about diversity?
- How do you handle stress?
- This job may involve working nights, weekends, and the occasional overnight inventory. Are you okay with that?
Mostly Basic Questions
For most retail jobs, you can expect basic interview questions like those listed above. If the job you applied for has any qualifications, you may be asked about your experiences working with the skills needed for the job, but many retail jobs only require a basic skillset and the personality necessary to succeed in the job.
Take Away Interview Tips
- Retail jobs do not have many non-basic interview questions.
- Review common interview questions to prepare for the job interview.