Everyone needs to eat. Restaurants are one of the few jobs that will never go out of business in today’s more difficult economy. As long as restaurants exist, there will be jobs available for people like you hoping to find work in a constant industry.
However, the tougher economy has affected restaurants as well. They can no longer afford to hire a bunch of employees and see which ones stay. They need to hire the right people to take on the job, so that they are not losing money due to poor customer service, theft, or turnover. Below are some possible interview questions you may face when applying for a restaurant job.
Sample Restaurant Interview Questions
- What made you want to work in the restaurant industry?
- Do you have any food allergies?
- Tell me about a time you gave excellent customer service.
- Tell me about a time you made a customer service mistake.
- What do you think are the most important qualities in a server?
- What made you apply here compared to other restaurants?
- Are you comfortable working in a fast paced, demanding environment?
- Are there any people you refuse to serve?
- How would you deal with a demanding customer?
- How do you feel about a customer that doesn’t leave a big tip?
- How do you feel about sharing tips/tip sharing?
- What are your career goals and how long do you plan on staying?
- What hours are you available to work?
- Do you have any mnemonic tools you use to remember orders?
- Do you consider yourself a patient person?
- Have you dined at our establishment before?
Expect Several Common Interview Questions
In addition to the questions above, you will be asked a lot of common interview questions (“Tell me about yourself,” etc.), and questions about the specific position and your experiences in the role (server, chef, restaurant manager, etc.). Prepare thoroughly so that you can ace the interview and beat out your competition.
Take Away Interview Tips
- Thoroughly prepare for restaurant job interview questions.
- Thoroughly prepare for common interview questions.