15 Common Office Manager Interview Questions
Office manager jobs are available at almost every major corporation. Someone has to keep the office running, whether it is managing schedules, making phone calls, ordering supplies, getting coffee, assisting with meetings, and so on. Office managers take on a variety of roles.
To be a successful office manager, you do not need to excel at any one particular skill. Rather, you need to be just “good” at all skills. So most of the interview questions you will face will be fairly basic, but may refer to almost any task that you will undertake. Below are just a small sample of the possible interview questions you will face when applying for a job as office manager.
Sample Office Manager Job Interview Questions
- What computer programs are you most familiar with?
- What is your average typing speed per minute?
- How do you keep yourself organized?
- How comfortable are you handling multiple phone calls on multiple phone lines at once?
- How are your math skills?
- How are your written communication skills?
- You are asked to organize a meeting. What steps do you take to ensure everyone attends?
- What do you consider to be the most important skill for an office manager?
- Are there any tasks you are not comfortable performing?
- Tell me about a time you gave outstanding customer service.
- Tell me about a time you made a mistake with your customer service.
- How do you keep track of [items, documents, stock, etc.]?
- Are you comfortable taking orders from multiple supervisors and associates?
- How comfortable are you dealing with confidential information?
- There may be times that you are asked to provide help for projects outside of your job description. Are you comfortable providing assistance where needed, even if you have not ben trained?
Specific Job Tasks Should Also Be Expected
You will also be asked many questions about the specific job tasks you will undertake in your role, so refer to both the job description and the sample job descriptions from other companies. Office managers deal with people often too, so expect your personality to be tested. Be likeable.
Take Away Interview Tips
- Office managers need to be a “jack of all trades.”
- You will be asked about tasks and comfort often.