Museum curator was considered to be one of the fastest growing jobs in 2010. While they may not be hiring for millions of openings, there is a considerable need to find well trained and able individuals to handle the daily tasks of the museums and galleries across the country.
In general, you should expect a lot of general interview questions about your work experiences, skills and education. Still, there are several possible specific museum curator interview questions you may face.
Sample Museum Curator Interview Questions
- Why did you choose to work as a museum curator?
- What do you find important about preserving history?
- Have you been to any museum exhibitions recently?
- Have you been to any galleries recently?
- What did you like/dislike about the galleries/exhibitions?
- How would you organize information about an upcoming gallery?
- Is there a specific time period in which you are most interested?
- What do you think is the primary challenge facing museums today?
- How do you feel about interactive exhibitions?
- Where would you like your career to be in 10 years?
- What approach would you use to make your exhibitions more acceptable?
- What situations might occur that would cause you to cancel/rethink an exhibition?
- What tools do you believe are most effective for marketing your exhibitions?
- Are you comfortable travelling to find new pieces for an exhibition?
- What were your favorite museum studies classes in college?
When you apply for a museum curator job, your personality is going to play a strong role in getting hired. The museum/company will want to see that you are intelligent and educated, with a passion for the works that you will be showcasing. You should also expect specific questions about both your history in choosing the field and some of your experiences visiting museums. They are going to want to know that you have a passion for the industry, and did not simply take on this work just to find a job.
Take Away Interview Tips
- Expect specific museum curator job interview questions.
- Expect questions about your background.
- Try to show off your personality and intelligence.