Why do you want a job in “IT?” How can being a giant ball of hair be rewarding to anyone? Wouldn’t that just get in the way of…
Oh, sorry. That’s spelled “Itt.” Our mistake. You must want to apply to a job within information technology. Whoops.
Unlike other types of jobs, IT interview questions are almost always related to specific pieces of technology that you will be working with at your job. They are almost exclusively technical questions, so your ability to succeed at the interview will be to show that you have knowledge in the area. We can’t tell you the interview questions of the job you are applying for, because each job requires its own special technical knowledge. Your best bet is to research the position and try to guess what problems you will be asked to solve in your role.
What we can do, though, is give you a list of IT interview questions, so you can catch a glimpse of what they look like.
Sample IT Interview Questions
- Describe to me the stages you go through to update your domain DNS records?
- What are the restrictions on domain names?
- What experience do you have working with arrays in VN Script?
- How do you set up the VPN on a laptop for a new employee?
- How well do you know HTML, PHP, etc.?
- What browsers do not offer support for CSS coding?
- The network appears to be down. What steps do you go through to troubleshoot?
- What are “Psuedo-classes”?
- Have you attended any web conferences recently?
- What types of accuracy checks do you enact when you are coding?
- What is abstraction with regards to .NET?
- What query is used to bring up all of the tables from a selected database in MYSQL?
- What usually indicates that your virtual user script has dynamic data that is dependent on you parameterized fields?
- Why can’t friend function be used to overload the assignment operator?
- Are you about to be on call at all hours of the day in case something goes wrong with the server?
As you can see, IT jobs involve a lot of technical questions. Your best bet to succeed is to try to re-study the aspects of your field that may play a role in the position, because your ability to answer technical questions is dependent on you having this technical knowledge. Unlike many other positions, these are not trick questions.
Take Away Interview Tips
- IT jobs have a lot of technical questions.