There are a lot of different jobs in the fashion world. A lot of the interviewer’s decision is going to be based on your portfolio, or your experience working in the field. Yet for some jobs, such as fashion assistants, fashion designers, and so on, you will also be judged on your personality, since your personality is part of what will help you become successful in the fashion industry. Depending on the job, your portfolio and resume will do most of the talking, but here are 15 questions you may receive at your fashion job interview.
Sample Fashion Interview Questions
- What made you decide to pursue a career in fashion?
- What do you consider the most important facets of the fashion industry?
- What do you think are the current and future trends in fashion?
- How do you think your education has prepared you to work in fashion?
- Define “Fashion.”
- What were your daily tasks at [Fashion Company]?
- How do you handle stress?
- How comfortable are you working hands on with models and designers?
- What qualifies you for a career in fashion over other candidates?
- Do you consider yourself a people person?
- How do you handle conflict?
- How would you describe your personal style?
- Where would you like your career in fashion to lead you?
- How would you deal with an arrogant client?
- What hobbies do you have that relate to the fashion industry?
Expect Specific and Broader Questions
You should also expect to be asked specific questions about the tasks you may need to perform, in addition to more basic interview questions. The fashion industry is fairly broad, and most often your abilities and personality speak for themselves, but the list above represents a good sample of some of the fashion-specific questions you may be asked at your job interview.
Take Away Interview Tips
- You will have to explain why you and fashion go together.
- You will have to answer a variety of standard interview questions.
- Portfolios and resumes play much more of a role in most of these interviews.