Management job interviews are unlike most other types of job interviews. The management interview questions and answers are often behavioral, asking how you have handled similar situations in detail. They are much less knowledge based. Knowing that you understand a computer program or have knowledge in business models is not as important as knowing that you can handle the staff under your supervision.
Over the next several months we will be going over how to answer common behavioral and management questions that may occur during your job interview. However, as we get to those questions, here are some examples of the types of interview questions you may face at your management job interview.
Management Job Interview Questions
- Describe a time when you had to ease a personal disagreement between two staff members?
- Describe a time when you had to motivate your staff to work at a faster pace.
- Describe a time when you had to work with an underperforming staff member.
- Describe a time when a staff member disagreed with your perspective.
- Describe a time where you were unsure how to proceed with a project.
- Describe what your management style is like and decisions it has affected.
- Describe a time when you were running short on a deadline and your next steps.
- Describe a time when a client/customer was treating your staff unfairly.
- Describe how you have handled priority for multiple projects.
- Describe a time where you disagreed with another manager.
Thoughts on Management Interview Questions
Answering behavioral interview questions can be tricky. In future posts we will go over how to answer some of these management interview questions (/questions-and-answers/manager-job-interviews) effectively. However, you should note that any time you either do not have an answer or your answer will not speak highly of you, the best course of action is to say “While I cannot think of a specific instance in the past of this occurring, if I were to encounter that situation I would handle it thusly” and supply examples of how you would answer each question.
Take Away Interview Tips
- Management interview questions are often behavioral.
- If you do not have an answer, explain what you would do in the situation.
- What is Your Management Style – Common Management Interview Question
- 15 Common Project Management Interview Questions
- Management Interview Question – How Do You Motivate Employees?
- Management Interview Question – How Will Your Subordinates View You As a Supervisor?
- 15 Common Behavioral Interview Questions